June 07, 2010

UN Urges Meat Free Diet

This is so true.
"Impacts from agriculture are expected to increase substantially due to population growth increasing consumption of animal products. Unlike fossil fuels, it is difficult to look for alternatives: people have to eat. A substantial reduction of impacts would only be possible with a substantial worldwide diet change, away from animal products."
"Agriculture, particularly meat and dairy products, accounts for 70% of global freshwater consumption, 38% of the total land use and 19% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions, says the report"
[Guardian, June 2, 2010]
I've made an effort to cut out red meat from my diet. So far so good - I rarely eat it anymore. I made the decision after watching Food Inc.

1 comment:

Ruhh (ron st louis) said...

your efforts are appreciated, Ron.

I love meat and don't want to be a vegetarian but I just can't allow myself to condone and financially support the way the animals are treated in factory farms nor can I tolerate the environmental impacts of such practices.

As a male in our society it is very quite difficult to go veg*n with so much machismo about meat consumption.

When confronted with these attitudes I sometimes say that it's even more "manly" to own up to personal accountability and take responsibility and action about the world's problems than talking sports around the grill.

Cheers, man!