September 25, 2011

Improvising the build

I had a couple hours in the garage tonight so I got on to the hardest part of the trike project, the side arms. The key is to get the two front wheels at a right angle to the ground, and about a 75 degree angle forward on the headstock (the pivot). The forward angle will help automatically right the wheels. I started shaping the odd fishmouth on one of the side arms. When I lined up the frame with the wheel it became obvious I would need to either raise the riding height of the trike, or improvise something with the side-arms to line up with the headstocks.
Houston, we have a problem. A height problem.
I don't want to raise the height of the bike so time to improvise the side-arms!  I need to cut a diagonal piece of square tubing to mate with the headstock at the right angle.  It will have to be angled slightly backwards to get the 75 degree angle. 

Additional piece roughly marked.

Additional diagonal piece will be welded to the headstock.
It turns out I cut the piece on the opposite angle - luckily it's perfect for the other side. 

About a 75 degree angle is desired for proper handling.
So the next step will be cutting the left side diagonal piece to the right angle, visually line each side up with a wheel and headstock, then weld them in place.  Then I'll trim the excess off the main horizontal arm and start the process of cutting the fishmouth out for each headstock.  Once they're welded on I'll have a rolling chassis with no steering. 

No comments: